« Home | Meeting People is EasyI've met two interesting wom... » | America's Top Moralist-There was a not-so heartwar... » | Random Notes - Reading Time: Two Minutes...I haven... » | The N.Y.C. ExperienceTalking about the differences... » | The Hollywood Wheel of FortuneI accidentally sat i... » | Quasi -Adventures in Suburbia: New York Days 5 thr... » | Stories and Highlights from Days 1 - 3 of New York... » | For those interested, my review of the new Grand T... » | A Series of Unfortunate Airplane Events I blame m... » | R.I.P Tyler DowneyIn a society where death and nat... » 

Monday, October 09, 2006 

My Own Private Enron

The article about my surreal job experience with Media Data Corporation AKA Veritasiti was published today on Popmatters.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/5694/my-own-private-enron1/

Basically, I tried to give a first person account about the day myself and 50 or so of my fellow coworkers were laid off and described the circumstances behind it. I also tried to put the incident in a larger context of other corporate scandals. Some of the stories and anecdotes I had in the story were removed (the editors actually wanted me to talk about the day-to-day job...they found it profoundly interesting), and it's not the full, unabridged story of what happened...but it's a pretty detailed synopsis nonetheless.

Oh, and yes the name of the article is an obscure reference to the early 90's Keanu Reeves (River Phoenix?) movie. "My Own Private Idaho".

I also had a column about the interesting philosophy behind the Nintendo Wii published in Popmatters a few days ago. It can be found here:

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/features/article/5972/the-royal-wii/

About me

  • I'm Ryan Smith
  • From
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates