« Home | The Day of The DevilHuman beings are supposedly ra... » | Fame is Fleeting, Friends are Forever: The Dream J... » | Down and Out In (Or Somewhat Near) Beverly Hills: ... » | Gauntlet or the Grade? I'm writing a personal vide... » | My Brother, the VillainFor years now, I have casua... » | Welcome to L.A. Moment Part III: The Case of the M... » | Oh the joys of beach football Look, I'm not going... » | Movies of the WeekThe variety of the types of movi... » | Welcome to L.A. Part II, The Great Baseball Advent... » | My Blue HeavenNot to go Mitch Albom on you guys bu... » 

Wednesday, June 07, 2006 

Notes from Right Field

My life is now complete. For I have witnessed something tonight unheard of in the history of mankind. And that something is...the first French-Canadian pitcher-catcher battery! That's right, when Dodgers closer Eric Gagne threw a pitch to fellow Canadian (and former high school classmate!) Russell Martin in the 9th inning in tonights Dodgers-Mets game, history was made.

Can we not honestly say this is the probably the biggest French-Canadian moment ever!

Other observations from tonight's game:

-I also got to see Gagne's first save tonight in more than a year, and it was absolutely electric in Dodgers Stadium when he came out to "Welcome to the Jungle" (almost literally, considering all the electricity coming out of the giant scoreboard and the garish neon stripe circling the stadium).
I can't hide my man-crush for Gagne. He's burly, he's got a crazy unkempt goatee, and huge goggles, he's the toughest French-Canadian ever, what's not to love?
Now, he may not be rocking it 96 or 97 on the gun right now, but his changeup looked oh-so-sweet and he struck out Carlos Delgado and made Mets stud David Wright look silly.

-The reuniting of the old Red Sox guard. It was odd seeing Derek Lowe against Pedro Martinez, and Pedro pitching to Nomar (who hit a dinger near us in the first inning). These guys played on the same team together from (I'm guessing here) 1998-2004.
After giving up the homer to Nomar in the first, Pedro settled down and pitched well until the 6th when he gave up a HR to rookie sensation Matt Kemp who has 4 HR in his last 6 games. He then got screwed by Jose Valentin who was for reasons unknown was playing 2nd base and committed two errors. (Seriously, Jose Valentin at second? Was Bobby Valentine somehow behind this?)
Derek Lowe also did well after giving up a couple runs in the second. But lets face it, you don't pay to watch D-Lowe pitch. Sinker, Sinker, 87 MPH fastball, sinker. Snore.

-I almost called Tim Alexander in the fifth inning as Carlos Beltran made a stupendous diving catch in right center field (about 20 yards from where I was sitting) and he came up holding his back. But after a short witch-doctor treatment from a team chiropractor, he finished the game.

-The cheap seats in Dodger Stadium can be awfully frightening. In a Comiskey Park way. Fights in the stands and general boorishness. Good thing I was carrying a piece.

-And yep, this is my second post in a day. That's a Top 10 Sign You're Unemployed.

About me

  • I'm Ryan Smith
  • From
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates